Medina Railroad Museum struck by lightning
By Nicole Coleman The Journal-Register
Published: August 10, 2008 09:49 pm
The Medina Railroad Museum suffered extensive damage Thursday evening when lightening struck its historic brick chimney. Caretaker Roland Holler was standing in the front depot entrance near the ticket booth when he heard a loud explosion, reports museum volunteer and technician Dave Moore. The chimney, located on the section of roof above Holler’s head, was instantly blown to pieces causing a blow out of the alarm system and surveillance cameras. No one was injured in the incident, although the building’s live-in cat, visibly shaken, scampered to find a safe hiding place and didn’t emerge for six hours, Moore said. “The strike was so powerful … (that) it actually shook the building,” said Marty Phelps, the museum’s owner and director.
Read the rest of the story here.